Saturday, April 5, 2008

April 5

Please Pass The Throw UP
This was the scariest night since I had Patrick. Greg and I were woken to this frightful cry coming from our son's nursery. Greg entered first and screamed for me to come help him. Patrick was drenched in vomit...all over his head. I was scared. What happened to my baby? The cry was like a sound I've never heard before nor do I want to hear again. He was hurting and I didn't know why. I scooped up Patrick in my arms and ran to get Mia. What do I do? We took off all his clothes and gave him a bath at 1:30 a.m. My baby boy wasn't himself. After contemplating what to do next, we called the pediatrician. I hated to wake someone up so early in the morning, but I needed their help. My child was sick and I didn't know what to do. I love the pediatrician group. She not only talked to Greg, but she talked to me too, repeating the information that she had already given Greg, just to comfort a first time mom's fears. She gave us a care treatment plan which included monitoring his temperature and giving him Pedialyte. So Greg went to get some of that yucky salty drink to give to our child. Patrick continued to throw up anything we would give him. I decided to pull an allnighter to care for Patrick. At 3:30 a.m., I sent Greg back to sleep. Someone needed to get some sleep because it was going to be a long night. Mia went to bed at 5 a.m. and I stayed awake, rocking Patrick in my arms...all night. Around 8 a.m., Mia relieved me and I went to get a couple of hours of sleep. Greg called his parents and we discovered that his mother was sick too. Same symptoms.

This day would be one of the longest days for us.
On top of throwing up, Patrick has diarrhea. So our day consisted of being thrown up on and then clean up a runny diaper. Patrick's demeanor was gone. No laughter, no smiles, just a whiny little boy trying to figure out what was happening to his little body. As a mother, all I could do was comfort my little boy by holding him, and just reassuring how much he was loved. Mommy loves you Patrick.

No comments: